The Chinese people are a very superstitious lot. We folllow a lot of customs which are steeped in tradition and superstition. Everything comes to a head at Chinese New Year as one wrong step can spoil your whole year.
Here are some of them, do you still practise any these ?
1. Do you smear honey on the lips of the kitchen god before Chinese New Year as he ascends to heaven to report to Huang Ti, (the yellow Emperor ) about the behaviour of the family? This is so that he’s only able to say sweet things?
2. Do you choose to wear red during Chinese New Year including red underwear?
3. Do you or your children sleep with red packets or angpows under the pillow during Chinese New Year’s eve?
4. Do you put your feet up and relax during Chinese New Year as the most enjoyable of the Chinese New Year superstitions says that sweeping and cleaning is strictly forbidden? The Chinese believe cleaning on New Year’s day means that you will sweep all of your good luck out the front door.
5. Do you make sure you avoid rough seas in the new year by not buying shoes over the holiday period? In Cantonese, the word for shoes also sounds like ‘rough’.
6. Do you avoid the hairdressers during Chinese New Year? Sharp objects are said to be harbingers of bad luck as their sharp points cut out your good luck. Pack them away, or you’ll have your good luck chopped off!
7. Do you make sure when you need to wake someone up on the First Day of Chinese New Year, you do not call him/her by name as the person will be dependant on you all year long to motivate them?
8. Do you refrain from eating porridge on the first day of Chinese New Year or you won’t get rich because only poor people eat rice porridge in the past?
9. Did you know that you should not have a lunchtime nap at noon, otherwise people will be lazy year long?
Some Feng Shui fanatic friends have even gone as far to consult with the Almanac to determine which direction to step out of the front door and at what time on the first day of the new year as this will have a great impact on your wealth generation for the year.
As you can see the underlying trend is about money and prosperity. So ignore at your own will.
Gong Hei Fatt Choy !!!!